Honeywell Boosting China's Auto Industry Now And In The Future
- China continues to be fastest growing global region for embracing turbocharging technology to meet fuel economy and emissions targets without sacrificing performance- Honeywell's expertise in el...
April 21, 2017 --
SHANGHAI, April 21, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- At Auto Shanghai 2017, Honeywell (NYSE: HON) is showcasing its latest gasoline turbocharger technology that can help reduce carbon dioxide emissions by as much as 10 percent and also improve fuel economy as well as a number of innovative electric boosting products capable of achieving even further fuel economy and emissions reductions in fun-to-drive vehicles. The newly developed software can provide cyber security and vehicle diagnosis solutions to connected vehicles.
Honeywell, a global leader in automotive turbocharger technologies, will display its latest solutions for passenger vehicles April 19-28 at the National Exhibition and Convention Center in Shanghai. China's continued adoption of turbo technology is helping address the continued urban expansion in the country and the need for improved air quality.
More than 10 million Honeywell turbochargers have been sold in China since the beginning of TS operations in China more than 20 years ago. Key launches in the past year include: the Buick Encore, Chevrolet Trax, Baojun 560/ 730, and the Chery TIGGO7.
According to Honeywell's most recent Turbo Forecast, China will remain the highest growth market for turbocharged light vehicles. After a very strong fourth quarter in 2016, Honeywell has updated its forecast for China calling for a 20-point increase in turbo penetration of total sales. This means the annual sales of turbocharged light vehicles in China will increase from 10.6 million in 2016 to more than 16 million in 2021.
New Gasoline Technology
On display in Shanghai will be Honeywell's Gasoline VNT Turbocharger, which features a variable geometry turbine stage rather than a typical wastegate valve to help achieve better fuel economy. Designed to work in tandem with a combustion phasing technology known as the Miller cycle, this turbo takes on more work and allows greater thermal efficiency in the engine. This results in improved fuel economy and reduced CO2 emissions at nearly all engine speeds.
Honeywell has applied the performance-enhancing VNT technology to nearly 70 million turbos used with diesel engines during the past three decades. It is an industry first to apply VNT technology for the higher-temperature gasoline engine environment suitable for high-production volume passenger vehicles without resorting to expensive exotic materials.
Honeywell Transportation Systems developed its latest VNT turbocharger for the Volkswagen Group's 1.5L gasoline engine to be used in various VW and Audi models. In its most recent benchmarking study, industry analyst FEV Group GmbH determined that the carbon dioxide emissions (108g/km) for a 1,250 kg vehicle with Honeywell's technology represents best-in-class performance for the industry in 2017.
Honeywell is bringing a look into the future to its display, with three examples of electric boosting products that can help provide additional benefits for automakers to use in improving performance and meeting regulatory targets. These include:
- E-Compressor A small electric air compressor can assist a traditional turbocharged engine to improve acceleration by 15-30 percent across various speeds, fuel economy by 10-15 percent and NOx emissions by 20 percent.
- E-Turbo Offers similar benefits as an E-Compressor but combines with a traditional turbocharger into a single unit to improve packaging and cost while also returning excess energy to the vehicle to help power an advanced electrical system.
- Two-Stage Compressor for Fuel Cell Honeywell's unique design has helped reduce the size of earlier hydrogen fuel cells by 40 percent while supplying constant power ratings far above previous industry generations. Honeywell has drawn upon its engineering competencies in the aerospace industries to introduce oil-free air bearings into this electronic boosting device that are already being used by Honda Motor Co. for its hydrogen-powered Clarity Fuel Cell vehicle.
Honeywell expects these solutions will continue to grow in demand as electric and hybrid vehicles are expected to grow globally from a total of 3 million vehicles sold in 2016 to a total of 16 million sold annually by 2021. Within the electrified category, mild hybrids are expected to account for 46 percent of the mix, full hybrids will account for 40 percent; and pure electric vehicles will be most of the remaining 14 percent. Honeywell estimates 70 percent of all mild hybrid vehicles will have a turbo or multiple turbo systems (mechanical and electric).
Honeywell will also offer a demo of three software initiatives aimed at diagnostics and prognostics of vehicle condition, automotive cyber security and calibration of vehicle powertrains.
- Integrated Vehicle Health Management IVHM is the next-generation of vehicle diagnostics, helping define root causes for malfunctions and reducing unnecessary replacement costs and maintenance time.
- Cyber security Honeywell's extensive experience in cyber security in the aerospace industry provides a more comprehensive protecting solution for automotive manufacturers. Its solution detects hacker intrusion and uses multi-sourced data to judge the reliability of signals which can be off-loaded from the vehicle to an operation center for automated and human analysis.
- OnRAMP Honeywell's OnRAMP Design Suite for powertrain controls provides unique technologies for gas control, virtual sensors, hybrid control and battery management. Virtual software sensors replace hardware to reduce cost and increase efficiency.
Other Honeywell Green Technologies for Automotive
In addition to Honeywell's powertrain related technologies, Honeywell will showcase a new automotive refrigerant that achieves a 99.9 percent greenhouse gas emission reduction compared with previous generation refrigerants with the same or better cooling performance. Honeywell will also present a series of Reddot Award winning products including an indoor air purifier and indoor air quality meter. Honeywell is working with automakers on extending these air quality and environmentally friendly technologies to future vehicle cabin designs.
"We pay great attention to the Chinese market and have formulated a long-term strategic plan in China," said Honeywell China President Stephen Shang. "Honeywell's goal is to be the best operating global company in China with best products, best quality, best value and fastest speed for our customers. Our turbocharging business is one of the best examples of how Honeywell is applying global innovations and experience to create a tailored local technology solution with fully local end-to-end capacity."
"Our unique Honeywell automotive, aerospace and automation expertise allows us to innovate, bringing differentiated turbo technologies for conventional powertrains as well as electric boosting and Automotive Software solutions," said Charles Jin, Honeywell Transportation Systems Vice President and General Manager of High Growth Regions, China and India. "Moreover, we'll bring to the automotive world, innovative technologies that help make vehicles safer, more connected, more energy efficient and environmentally friendly."
Honeywell Transportation Systems will be displaying its automotive solutions and conducting demos, tours and contests at Hall 4.2 booth #4B H001 during Auto Shanghai.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 software-industrial company that delivers industry specific solutions that include aerospace and automotive products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes, and industry; and performance materials globally. Our technologies help everything from aircraft, cars, homes and buildings, manufacturing plants, supply chains, and workers become more connected to make our world smarter, safer, and more sustainable. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywell.com/newsroom.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/honeywell-boosting-chinas-auto-industry-now-and-in-the-future-300443622.html
SOURCE Honeywell Transportation Systems
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved