MIT Sloan CIO Symposium Names Leading Chief Information Officers as Finalists for 2017 Leadership Award
April 20, 2017 --
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., April 20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The MIT Sloan CIO Symposium today announced the four finalists for the 10th Annual MIT Sloan CIO Leadership Award. The winner will be announced at a private event on May 23, 2017 and publicly during the Symposium, "The CIO Adventure: Now, Next and?Beyond," on May 24, 2017 in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Over the past decade, the Award has recognized Chief Information Officers (CIOs) who lead their organizations to deliver exemplary levels of business value through innovative use of IT.
"After much deliberation, the awards committee is pleased to recognize these four finalists for the Leadership Award," said George Westerman, Award co-chair. "These individuals show that managing IT is no longer enough for CIOs. Great CIOs play a critical role in driving digital transformation for their companies."
- Carlo Bozzoli, Head of Global Information and Communications Technology, Enel
- Julia Davis, Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer, Aflac
- David Gledhill, Group Chief Information Officer and Head of Group Technology & Operations, DBS Bank
- Stephen Gold, Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer, CVS Health
Carlo Bozzoli is the Head of Global Information and Communications Technology at Enel, an Italian multinational manufacturer and distributor of electricity and gas. He also sits on the advisory boards of several major international vendors, EuroCIO associations and the Management Academy for ICT Executives at the School of Management of the Polytechnic University of Milan. Prior to his current role, Mr. Bozzoli was Head of Network Commercial Services for the Infrastructure & Networks Division in Italy, where he was responsible for metering, energy balance, energy traders management, grid connection, billing and credit management, service quality and customer care.
"Digitalization is not an ambition, it is a necessity," said Mr. Bozzoli. "We are deeply convinced that it's not only a matter of technology, but a widespread digital culture is needed to be fostered all over the company."
Julia Davis is a Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer at Aflac, an insurance company and the largest provider of supplemental insurance in the U.S. Ms. Davis oversees the day-to-day operations and strategic initiatives of Aflac's Information Technology (IT) Division. She has cultivated a strong IT Division by leading Aflac's IT Apprenticeship program and an innovative "reverse mentoring" program that pairs millennials with senior team members.
"I am both humbled and proud to be among the 2017 MIT CIO Leadership Award finalists, each of whom represent the leading visionaries in the United States," said Ms. Davis. "Aflac has such a strong commitment to finding innovative ways to serve our customers who, when injured or ill, need their benefits fast. It is very rewarding to be part of the team that carries out this crucial mission."
David Gledhill is Group Chief Information Officer and Head of Group Technology & Operations at DBS Bank, a leading Asian bank and "World's Best Digital Bank." In his roles, Mr. Gledhill is focused on strengthening the bank's technology and infrastructure platform to drive greater resilience, organizational flexibility and innovation. Mr. Gledhill also plays a lead role in driving the bank's innovation agenda, which encompasses design thinking, agile methodology, data analytics, and more. Mr. Gledhill's portfolio also includes responsibility for the group's operations, which is focused on reimagining customer journeys and the way business is supported, so as to make banking simpler and more effortless for customers.
"I am truly honored to be acknowledged by MIT, an organization that has always been at the forefront of driving innovation and supporting leaders in generating business value through technology," said Mr. Gledhill. "We at DBS have also recognized the importance of building a strong innovation led mindset to reimagine banking. In fact, one of the core facets of this journey has been how each and every person at DBS has been involved in driving and adopting these transformational changes. I'd therefore like to share this honor with all at DBS who have been a part of our success."
Stephen Gold is the Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer for CVS Health, a pharmacy innovation company helping people on their path to better health. Mr. Gold is the company's senior technology executive and has responsibility for all information systems and technology operations, including information technology strategy, application development, technology infrastructure, and business and technology operations.
"On behalf of my colleagues who embrace innovation as a core value and deliver products and services that help people on their path to better health, I am deeply honored to be selected as a finalist for this prestigious award," said Mr. Gold.
After two rounds of extensive review, a panel of judges that includes CIOs, academic researchers and IT professionals selected the award finalists who exhibit the key traits of a CIO leader in the following areas:
- Exceptional Communicator Articulates a vision for strategic business value from IT and works across the organization to build partnership around this vision. Focuses communications on value and innovation, not technology. Helps all IT staff to understand the business and speak the language of business leaders.
- Recognized IT Leader ("Cheap Information Officer") Clearly demonstrates value-for-money in the management of core IT services by providing the right services at the right price and the right level of quality. Recognized among peers as an effective leader of the IT unit.
- Driver of Business Value ("Chief Improvement Officer") Understands the business and needs of the CEO, CFO, Line-of-Business heads and other senior executives. Ensures clear focus on potential and realized value in all IT initiatives. Incorporates IT into business decision-making by participating in key strategic conversations, suggesting innovative uses of IT, and managing risk.
- Trusted Partner ("CIO-Plus") Exercises authority beyond IT itself. Considered a trusted member of the senior executive team, not just a technology leader. Suggests innovative uses of IT to transform the business and successfully executes the changes. May receive additional non-IT responsibilities such as Chief Operating Officer or VP of Strategy, or strategic temporary roles such as Head of M&A integration.
These criteria are adapted from the award-winning book The Real Business of IT: How CIOs Create and Communicate Value, which draws extensively upon research conducted at MIT Sloan.
For more details and to view the full agenda for the MIT Sloan CIO Symposium, please visit www.mitcio.com.
About the MIT Sloan CIO Symposium
The MIT Sloan CIO Symposium is the premier global conference for CIOs and digital business executives to become more effective leaders. In one day, CIOs and senior IT executives explore enterprise technology innovations, business practices and receive actionable information that enables them to meet the challenges of today and the future. The Symposium offers a unique learning environment by bringing together the academic thought leadership of MIT with the in-the-trenches experience of leading, global CIOs and industry experts. The MIT Sloan CIO Symposium is organized and developed by the MIT Sloan Boston Alumni Association, the MIT Initiative on the Digital Economy (IDE), and the MIT Sloan Center for Information Systems Research (CISR). For more information and to register for this year's Symposium, visit www.mitcio.com.
Journalists interested in press credentials should contact Caroline Legg (firstname.lastname@example.org or 978-255-4488), Warner Communications.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mit-sloan-cio-symposium-names-leading-chief-information-officers-as-finalists-for-2017-leadership-award-300442881.html
SOURCE MIT Sloan CIO Symposium
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved